Monday, January 9, 2012

Dr. M

I returned to Dr. M today for a checkup to see how things are going and plan the next steps. I informed him of my upcoming endoscopy and colonoscopy, and though he was quite frustrated that Dr. V (the G.I.) did not send him any record of my appointment with her, he was happy to hear that it was scheduled. He questioned my fatigue and the effects of my B12 injections. Starting with today, the plan was to cut the injections down to every other week... hoping that the B12 had now stored in my system. I expressed my concern with this, as I feel as though the injection once a week is still not enough, and the subliminal B12 I was given does not seem to make a difference once I start to feel fatigued. Dr. M sympathized with me and agreed to continue the B12 once a week at least until we can get some results back from the G.I. doctor. I also told him that I have started to see a pattern occurring, after I eat a meal (usually large meals) I become so exhausted I feel as if I could fall asleep on the table. I sometimes become so fatigued after eating that I have a very difficult time functioning. Dr. M raised an eyebrow and said that it sounded like a blood glucose issue and decided to look into it.

Before the appointment ended I decided to ask Dr. M how he felt about a gluten free diet and explained that I had been playing with the idea in my head for a while since I have read about a lot of success stories from people with Hashimoto's going gluten free. He told me that it would be very interesting to see if it made a difference however, I would need to be very strict and should not expect to see true results for at least a month as it clears out of my system. He did not shut the idea down yet did not seem to find it necessary so I remain torn. In my head I have made the decision to wait and see what happens with the G.I. doctor before making the gluten free decision.

Dr. M gave me a lab form to get my blood glucose levels checked and also to get my B12 levels checked again. He decided to see my back in 6 weeks after the results of the endoscopy and colonoscopy are in.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to have found this blog. I've sort of started my own too, but I'm not good with keeping up with it and have only written one post, so I assume that doesn't count for much of a blog. I found out at I had Hashimoto's last year and I've been on a roller coaster every since. I just had a host of testing done for other autoimmune diseases and should get my results tomorrow. I've also been gluten free for about 2 months and my stomach thanks me very much. Anyway, good luck on you journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi i dont know if you still check this but maybe you have pernicious anemia i have read about this while reading other things on hashimotos(which i have).I also had very low vitamin d which should be checked. pernicious anemia is lack of intrinsic factor which helps body absorb b12 through food in stomach.google it i dont know everything about it.you might already know this but i hope it helps.
    -Holly

    ReplyDelete