Saturday, September 24, 2011

Attempt 1 at Tackling B12

Even though I'm not sure increasing my consumption of certain foods that contain B12 will even help I figured I would give it a shot. After all I don't know if my deficiency is a result of my body's inability to absorb the vitamin of the lack of foods I eat that contain B12.

So yesterday for lunch I made my first attempt at changing my eating habits. While ordering my lunch at work I decided I would try to eat chicken, so I ordered myself a buffalo chicken wrap... When I got the wrap I opened it up and cut the two boneless wings into very small pieces and even removed some knowing full well I was not going to like having the chicken in there to begin with. I wrapped it back up and took a bite...

As soon as I could taste the chicken and feel the texture I gagged and my stomach completely turned. I couldn't even eat the rest. I hated it. Imagine a food that disgusts you, something you would never choose to eat... now imagine putting it in your mouth and chewing it... gross right? That's how I felt about the chicken in my wrap. Now imagine taking everything out of your diet that you love and replacing it with the foods that gross you out... (I realize that is not necessarily what I am going to be doing, but at that point in time that was my thought process...)

I expected to dislike the chicken, I did not expect to feel sick over it, and I most definitely didn't expect the emotional reaction. The chicken experience made me realize that changing my diet is going to be much more difficult than I had anticipated. I felt really frustrated at my reaction to the chicken and tears came to my eyes, I thought to myself "how am I ever going to do this?" I held back the tears but I felt like crying. I realize that I should not be getting myself upset yet since I still have to talk to the doctor about the food questions, but I couldn't help but imagine having to change all the things I love to eat to all the things I hate to eat. I felt sad for the rest of the day and frustrated with myself. I will not give up on my attempts but I now realize how difficult my attempts may be...

No comments:

Post a Comment